Posted by- Neelam Mathews
March 20, 2012
Minister of Defense AK Antony confirmed in parliament-
Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has been entrusted with construction/improvement of 499 roads under various schemes with different time frames of completion; Long Term Perspective Plan-II schedule of completion is 2022.
Lack of air effort by helicopter for mobilization of resources, delay in forest/wild life clearance, restricted working period and adverse ground conditions are the major factors that affected improvement of infrastructure in border areas.
Following steps have been taken to expedite completion of work:
- · Regular monitoring of forest clearance cases, establishment of single window system at district, State and Ministry of Environment & Forest levels, simplification of form for use of one form for both forest and wild life clearances have resulted in expeditious forest clearance of these roads.
- · Air effort availability has been increased through close coordination with IAF.
- · Modern machineries/equipment have been approved for procurement. Allotment has been increased and also an equipment bank has been created exclusively to expedite works.
- · Four new Projects have been inducted.
- · Outsourcing has been allowed to augment capacity of BRO